jump to navigation

8-6-09 Thurs. (At Sea) August 12, 2009

Posted by captnmike in The Queen Charlottes 2009.

Four a.m., the full moon was still out, stars and planets were hanging in the sky.  We put on the windvane and set it up.  Made sure the boat was pretty well cleared so stuff wouldn’t tumble in the aisles and the like if we had to sail in rough seas.  We headed out at 5:21am along with Tenacity due to being on a mooring.  Current was against us about 1 ½ knots as we motored out the channel.  We turned right with about 160 miles to go.  This will be an overnight sail due to the distance.  Judy calls me up to the cockpit at about 6:10am.  The sunrise is just a gorgeous red ball partially up due to the haze and such in the air.  I remind Judy about “red sun at night sailors delight, red sun in the morning, sailors take warning.”  The red goes away shortly after it clears the haze.  About 8:08 am the wind comes up enough to put a jib up, then it starts to die to we put up a main, then we take them down with only about 2.5 miles of sailing to our good.  Back to motoring.  No land in sight if you look forward.  Just some in back where we came from.  Now light fog, dense on the water surface but you can see blue sky above.  There is a boat on Marshall’s AIS about 10 miles away that is not showing on our yet.  We now have our radar on but not showing anything except Marshall’s boat.  I cooked up some oatmeal with apples but while typing it got overdone.  Good enough to eat but a nice crusty bottom.

While Marshall and I are talking at about 6pm we notice a humpback whale doing big tail slaps one after another and about 30 of them, then he goes into fin slaps and another whale joins in with fin slaps.  This is about 60 miles out from Rose Harbour in what seems to be no where.  Finally the fog has lifted.  Tenacity had broken a cheek block on his boom so he can do a full up on the main or a second reef.  He has a second reef in.  We’ve taken in our jib entirely to help Tenacity catch up and working a small main only, almost to the first spreader down from the top.  The wind vane performs better in a following wind if the sails are locked in place such as a main only or if the jib had a pole on it.  Marshall has seen an albatross, I think we’ve only seen shearwaters.  Seas are rolly at times.  Winds and swell are still from the northwest.  Pretty good crossing so far.

We started seeing albatrosses too.  Overnight Judy and I are doing two hour watches with about ½ hour to get ready and talk about what’s going for wind, waves, stuff in the water and such.  During the day there were big weed patches of kelp that we had to duck every hour or so.  At night we could see pretty good as the almost full moon would come out from the low clouds once in a while but we never saw any kelp patches.



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: